Tuesday, October 6, 2009

@Changi Airport

It was fine rainy morning today. The roads were wet with light drizzle. The atmosphere was really cool and I started off from house @6:15 in the morning for Changi Airport. It was the first time that I started off so early from home. I was under impression that roads will not be that crowded and public transport will have enough space but what I found was contrary to my belief. But still it was very enjoyable journey to Changi Airport.

From Changi airport, I had to collect some stuff from stranger which mom had sent from Ahmedabad. That fellow was coming by Kingfisher’s flight from Mumbai. Singapore government has made Changi such a world class airport that whoever comes to the Airport will become fan of it. I reached airport quite early and had ample time to do what I want to. On Indian airports, big problem is what to do except buying magazine and read it but situation is not the same with the Changi Airport.

First on my windows mobile, I connected to WiFi network using Wireless@SG. I checked my mails, checked new posts in my feed reader, read what’s going on in Big B’s mind, saw snaps of how Shilpa Shetty celebrated her holiday’s in Maldives, found out who has been locked inside Big Boss’s house in season 3, etc. etc. After a while it was difficult for me to concentrate on small screen of my mobile. So I went for window shopping. Not many shops were open though in the lounge but still you can do some good time pass. You can not think of buying anything here coz it costs more (that’s pretty obvious). After that I came and checked on the wide screen that Kingfisher’s flight has already been landed so I sat on the chair right opposite the belt on which the luggage for the flight was supposed to come. On the adjacent belts, there were luggage of three flights one from Paris, one from Barcelona and one from Mumbai. I found few white skinned people around me in arrival lounge waiting for their loved ones coming from either Paris or Barcelona. The moment their loved ones are out in arrival lounge these fellows will rush towards them, hug them, kiss them, give pack and warmly greet them. Well, you can see the joy of reunion on the faces of these white skinned (perhaps French) public. I found their behaviour care free and bit loud. In front of my eyes I was seeing two different cultures. In English culture they express their love, passion, respect, etc. by giving pack while Indians were doing “पैरी पोना" as a mark of respect to elders and giving simple hug to their loved ones. Well, that’s the difference of culture what else I can say.

I saw the cabin crew members of both Jet and Kingfisher airlines coming out. Well, if you want my vote on the dressing of these two air lines’ air hostesses, than my vote will definitely go to King fisher. Jet’s Yellow dress is nowhere near to Kingfisher’s dark red dress. Scene of all the air hostesses coming out to the arrival lounge in one queue pushing their red bags (yup the bag’s color was also red so that it can match with their dresses) in disciplined manner was like seeing some army troop marching. But this troop was really glamorous though. Well, I was least interested in seeing the yellow troop of jet.

One thing I noticed is 95% of the travellers were carrying spirits with them. It is because it is  quite cheaper to buy liquor from duty free shops located inside. No matter it’s Indian/White, No matter person is young/60 year old lady, no matter it’s Man/woman, everyone had liquor with them to keep them in high spirits. Last time I had bought tequila for just 20+ S$ from airport’s duty free shops. The same bottle could have cost me around 50+ S$ outside. So who will not take price benefit if they can.

Finally, I managed to find the person from whom I had to collect the stuff. But during this time it was really good experience observing the people, different cultures, behaviours, etc. It was indeed pleasure experience.

Next week I will once again I will be @Changi Airport. But next time I will be their as traveller as I will be flying to India for annual vacation. I have decided to be at the Airport early and enjoy some more moments and making some more observations.

No comments:

Post a Comment