Sunday, August 30, 2009

Visit to Mumbai in August...

I was working in Mumbai again a couple of weeks ago, arriving on Sunday August 9th through to the following Saturday… it was an extremely busy time.

On Monday and Tuesday me and Angie were completely tied up with interviews and meetings related to Patni. In fact, Angie went over to Delhi and back on Tuesday – it’s a 2-hour flight from Mumbai. I stayed in Mumbai on Tuesday and desperately tried to arrange a new appointment as the planned interview had fallen through, due to a swine flu scare. Fortunately, I was able to go and talk with the boss of TCS eServe that day.

On Monday, the BBC came to my hotel and we recorded a TV interview about my latest book. It was broadcast globally on BBC World TV, India Business Report on August 23rd.

On Wednesday, we went on a day trip to Bangalore together. We were booked on to an 8.30pm flight coming back, but we managed to arrive back at the airport very early – before 6pm. We asked if it was possible to get on an earlier flight and fortunately there was one at 6.20pm we could get on at no extra charge – and it was fortunate as the 8.30pm flight was already delayed until 10.40pm at the earliest…

On Thursday Angie carried on writing at the hotel and I went to see the Patni engineering research lab. In the afternoon we went to visit the Dharavi slum as guests of the Maharashtra government. We met the head of the slum redevelopment programme, and even the MP for Dharavi.

On Friday, we met NASSCOM in the morning and did more writing before heading over to the Oxford Bookstore at Churchgate. I was speaking about my book Who Moved My Job? at the bookstore in Mumbai. I’d only found out on Monday that the publisher had arranged this event, but through a combination of emails and social networks I managed to get the word out there. In the end, the bookstore was packed full of people and 10 newspapers came to cover the event, along with a couple of magazines.

We then got on a flight to Bangkok just after midnight on Friday night… leaving behind a week of constant interviews and writing in Mumbai and on to some much-needed holiday time!

[Via http://markhillary.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment